Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Stitch Fix #2


Stitch Fix #2 came!!!! While I am still impatiently waiting for my Birch Box, my Stitch Fix box came! Now to decide what to keep and what not to keep!

First let me give you the skinny on Stitch Fix. Stitch Fix can fall under the ever so popular monthly subscription box. You can subscribe to a monthly fix and cancel whenever you want OR just pick randomly when you want to have a fix. The cost or "styling fee" as they call it is $20. This $20 gets you shipping and return shipping on any of the items you don't keep. If you choose to only keep a item or a few items (you get 5 items a box) this $20 gets subtracted off your total amount, if you choose to keep all the items the $20 gets subtracted and you get a 25% discount as well, if you keep nothing the $20 is still charged and as said before covers all the shipping. They provide you a prepaid shipping label and bag to ship whatever items you don't keep.

When you first sign up you take a pretty in depth questionnaire to allow whatever stylist gets you understand your sense of style. You can also link to Pinterest, Twitter, and other social media accounts to help them see more of your style taste as well. The questionnaire also goes over items they shouldn't send, colors to avoid and price ranges to stay within. They don't ALWAYS stay within this range but make a good effort.

All the blogs/reviews I have read have said it takes several boxes for them to truly understand what you are looking for. When you are done deciding what to do with each item you go on their site and check out. This allows you to give in depth feedback of everything to help them understand more of your taste. Additionally, when you schedule a fix you can send notes to your stylist-which is nice in case you have a special occasion coming that you would like certain pieces for.

There was recently some controversy, if you want to call it that, surrounding stitch fix and their prices. They charge the MSRP (manufactured suggested retail price) which with these items isn't necessarily cheap. I understand that some of the items I get or will get in boxes I can probably find cheaper elsewhere, however, some of the items I can't. Not to mention half the time I wouldn't pick out the items they sent me. I am not a huge fan of clothes shopping. I actually tend to have break downs when shopping, especially for jeans/pants (hello thunder thighs).  The lighting, the mirrors it all makes me feel horrible about myself and takes away from the items I am trying on. The option to try these items on in the privacy of my own home and style them with accessories I already have gives me a level of comfort that shopping at the store doesn't. Also, when shopping I gravitate a lot to similar items and colors over and over again. Stitch Fix allows me to try something, all while being at home and pairing it with other items I have. They also give you a little styling card which shows you different ways to style the outfit they give you. For me, all of that makes Stitch Fix and their clothing prices worth it.

All of that being said, there is a price point I won't break. I have to be head over heals with something to feel comfortable spending $70 plus on an item. Example- I received a pair of jeans last month, they fit amazing, but were $75. I just can't do that, especially when I know other brands I like that are half that. Normally though before I commit to an item from them I will jump online to see if it can be bought somewhere else cheaper. Hey, if I know I love it can save some money, why not? If not I will gladly buy it from Stitch Fix.

I currently have my Fix set to only send me clothing pieces-no jewelry, scarves, etc. I want clothes, I want to update my wardrobe. I can take care of myself in the accessories area and enjoy that type of shopping, plus I know how to score some awesome deals with those items as well.


So on to Stitch Fix #2...First my box arrived like this...Thanks FedEx!!! Even Bandito Burrito was not happy about it.



Always love opening this box, bright and cheerful. Now on to the clothes!


Here is the note from my stylist this month along with the selection of clothes she picked out and how they suggest styling them. Looking at this I was overall happy with the items chosen for me.


1. 41Hawthorn Moni Stud Detailed 3/4 Sleeve Blouse



I had actually seen this blouse floating around in different colors around the Stitch Fix site and other blogs. I honestly was not crazy about it via pictures I saw, so I was a little disappointed when I saw it. However, as Stitch Fix says always try it on, so I did just that. I actually really liked it on me. However, it was to big and in black. I have way to much black. If it was a size smaller I may have kept it but it was just to flowy on me and made me look bigger then I am. Verdict- Returned.

2. Collective Concepts Clarita Leopard Print Flutter Sleeve Blouse



I am a huge animal print lover. I own a lot of animal print so I was excited to see this in my box. She took note of my love for leopard from my Pinterest account, which is awesome to know they are checking it out. The color of this was beautiful and I liked how they suggested styling it. However, this was just huge on me. Not form fitting and I just drown in it. I tried to take a picture of the back the best I could because that was the biggest problem area. Front was ok, back just engulfed me. Verdict-Returned

3. En Creme Adelia Geo Print Swing Skirt





I wasn't sure of this at first. I don't have a ton of skirts and the ones I do have I don't wear often. I did love the pairing of this skirt with a yellow tank on their style card. I didn't have anything off the top of my head to pair it with except for this tank I got from Forever21 years ago...which STILL had the tags attached. I tried it on with the skirt and instantly loved the skirt. I have some really cute shoes I already know I will wear with them. I envision the skirt paired with some black tights and these black flats I have for the winter. Verdict-Kept

4. 41Hawthorn Milan Lace Print Back Pleat Top 


I fell hard for this and I mean haaaaaaaaaard.




Plus they had it paired with some red pants/jeans-a pair that I am planning on purchasing this weekend. This shirt was MADE FOR ME. Then I tried it on. At first it appeared to fit, but something funky was going on with the back, it appeared really long. Then I realized  I had the collar pulled to high up, I fixed it only to be crushed-it was also way to big. I couldn't justify it as much as I loved it. It had to go. I am tempted though to ask my stylist for this again in my next box or try to find it online. That's how hard I fell for it. Verdict-Returned

5. Just Black Kristy Skinny Jean

The jeans I am wearing in 1 & 2 above were part of my Stitch Fix box. These were ok, but as I stated above I am not crazy about the prices of their jeans. The quality though, it is awesome. They fit in the waist again amazingly. However, overall they really weren't that flattering and something about the calve area on me, it just didn't look right when compared to my skinny jeans from American Eagle or Old Navy. Since, I didn't think they looked good I didn't feel good in them. I actually felt really frumpy. Be gone with you jeans! Verdict-Returned




Overall I was happy with this box despite only keeping one item. I told myself going into this I really never wanted to buy the whole box. Given that I am on week 5 of a different outfit with no end in site, I don't need to be buying a ton of clothes. Ideally each box I would want to keep one or two items and build a good, quality wardrobe. I feel like the stylist is starting to get my taste down . I did go in and update my style profile though. My first Stitch Fix box had a similar problem of all the shirts being big. The jeans and skirts they are nailing on size but the shirts are drowning me. I changed to a small and am hoping I don't regret it. We will see when I get Stitch Fix #3 next month!

0 comments:

Post a Comment